We’re recruiting a Human Resources Coordinator to join our team. Based at our head office in Aston, you will join a fast pace, well organised working environment. It’s important that you have prior experience within the construction sector as you will need to hit the ground running. The role provides an excellent opportunity to influence and shape the governance and continued growth of the company.
To be considered for the role you must have:
- at least 3 years post-qualified experience in human resources
- practical experience working within a construction and civil engineering environment
- general experience including recruitment resourcing, learning and development, and HR administration
- the confidence and skills to respond to issues arising – understanding the problem, identifying the legal context, and proposing practical solutions
- excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to persuade and influence.
Key responsibilities include:
- contributing to the review and development of policies and procedures
- leading recruitment campaigns and sourcing labour; liaising with temporary labour agencies
- processing starters and leavers using company software systems, ensuring right to work and other requirements are fully evidenced
- supporting people development processes (e.g. inductions; administering training records)
- initiating company and statutory processes in response to events arising (e.g. disciplinary)
- monitoring and evolving processes to ensure up-to-date worker information for HR and payroll purposes (e.g. holidays, absence)
- maintaining databases and other records and tracking status changes (e.g. drivers register; appraisals; medicals; training)
- preparing and issuing official documents and notices (e.g. offer letters, contracts of employment, etc)
- supporting projects requests arising (e.g. DBS checks, medicals)
- liaising with project sites to schedule occupational health medicals and other activities as appropriate
- contributing to the preparation of departmental reports and requests for information
- communicating with key stakeholders (e.g. workers, public, other departments)
- maintaining and developing knowledge on changing legislation and other requirements
- implementing departmental improvements and initiatives arising
- assisting other office priorities arising.
You will be actively involved in the migration to a new software system.
Skills and experience:
- Fully qualified (CIPD Level 7 Advanced Level Diploma in HRM or equivalent)
- Proven track record in a similar role
- Awareness of construction themes (e.g. CIS, CSCS, etc)
- Organising and sorting data
- Excellent attention to detail
- Resilience when working to fixed deadlines
- Problem solving
- Experience of Microsoft Dynamics is an advantage but not essential
- Competent Excel user to pivot table/v-Look up level
Job type: Full-time, Contract
Working hours: 37.5 hours per week
Site location: Aston, Birmingham
Why join McDermotts?
McDermotts is a groundworks and civil engineering company based in Birmingham, supporting some of the country’s biggest construction companies. We’re a family-founded business that still operates with the customer focus and values we started with.
Construction is our passion, and we believe that the industry can provide rich and rewarding experiences. When you engage with McDermotts, you are not just joining a team, you become part of our family. Our culture is built around supporting each other and working together to achieve success.
McDermott Building and Civil Engineering Ltd is an equal opportunities employer.